Natural Remedies for a Queasy Stomach
Sniffles and sneezes are no fun but they are a walk in the park when compared to the dreaded stomach flu. Nausea and vomiting are common symptoms of a stomach bug and both can make you feel downright awful.
When you are feeling under the weather with a stomach but there are a few tried and true home remedies that can help ease your symptoms. If vomiting for more than 24 hours or if your vomit contains blood or looks like coffee grounds, see your doctor right away.
1. Try acupressure. Simply apply pressure to the inside of your wrist with your thumb. Place your index and middle fingers on the top of your wrist. Press for 30 seconds. While it hasn't been scientifically proven that acupressure can relieve nausea, many people report that it works well for them, and it has no known side effects so it may be worth a try.
2. Sip some peppermint tea. Peppermint can help stop the spasms in the stomach that can lead to nausea and vomiting. Peppermint tea is believed to release the plant's analgesic and calming properties which can help relax intestinal and stomach muscles.
3. Stick to the BRAT Diet. Bananas, rice, apple sauce and toast are the staples of the well known BRAT diet. These foods are bland, low in fiber and unlikely to cause stomach upset. Other foods to consider would be plain crackers and good old fashioned chicken soup. Steer clear of soups with too many additions. Clear broth is best until you start to feel better.
4. Avoid milk and other dairy products. Milk contains protein and fats that can be difficult to digest. The exception might be yogurt. If you are able to keep down liquids, a small amount low sugar yogurt may help ease symptoms.
5. Stay hydrated. Water and electrolytes such as potassium, sodium and calcium that are normally absorbed in the intestines are lost during vomiting and diarrhea. It is important to replace these electrolytes. Sipping a sports drink or natural coconut water can help hydrate and replace these lost electrolytes.
6. Rest. A nap could be just what you need to ease symptoms and the rest will help your body recover.
It's important to take good care of yourself when you have a stomach bug. A Domperidone prescription can also help ease symptoms of nausea and vomiting. Rest, stay home from work and hopefully your symptoms will pass quickly. Talk to your doctor if symptoms persist.
Leave your comment:
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *.