Top Six Teething Remedies
Teething times brings tears and irritability for both Mom and baby. However, there are many options available for parents today, from high-tech teether to uber-natural remedies like breastfeeding. Here is a list of the top 6 medicine-free teething remedies for your baby.
1. Breastfeeding- Although you may be afraid to allow potential teeth near your tender parts, for your baby, breastfeeding can be one of the most relaxing moments they have. It is familiar, they are being happily fed, and the feeling of warm milk running over their tender gums must make them feel they way you do in a bath - just great. However, be sure to pay attention while during a feeding. You want to avoid Baby getting bored-they may start using nipples as teethers.
2. Teethers - There are literally hundreds of different types of teethers on the market today. Vibrating teethers, chillable teethers, rubber, silicone and wood teethers. Luckily teethers are generally not too expensive, so you can easily experiment to find out which one your baby likes best. I have yet to try a vibrating teether, but that is my next option. There are even some on the market today that can be chilled and vibrate!
3. Distraction - Playing with your child, giving them a bath, or unexpected cuddle time all work wonders for distracting from the pain of teething. We like baths with a rubber ducky…silicone Duck is perfect to gnaw on while enjoying a warm bath.
4. Mesh Feeders - Mesh feeders are tiny, finely woven nets attached to a teether. Savvy moms put chilled banana chunks or apple slices into these feeders to provide both an ice-cube sensation for gums and a light choke hazard-free snack for their babies. They are usually easy to clean and dishwasher safe.
5. Cloths - It may seem odd, but an inexpensive great at-home teether is a dish cloth. Use a freshly laundered dishcloth, and dip it in water, breast milk or chamomile tea (for relief of teething pain and irritability) and then chill it in the fridge. After it is nice and cool, hand it over to baby to gnaw on.
6. Gum Massage - Enlist Dad for this one. Suggest that he put one of his nice flashy fingers into baby's mouth and gentle massage the gums. Moms of course can do it too, but this allows for some bonding time between the two of them, and a potential 15 minute break for moms!
One of the best natural teething remedies for you child is breast feeding/ if you are having trouble producing milk on demand, talk to your doctor about domperidone, a medication that has the side effects on your milk flow.
Leave your comment:
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *.